|         Events and Workshops|
|         Contact the Artist|
|View Original Pastel Paintings|
|View Giclée Prints|
|About Giclée Prints|
A painter for over 40 years, Jan travels throughout the Southwest and other regions photographing and sketching for several weeks at a time. “I’m not really an outdoor painter. Nature can be exciting – like a glorious sunset – but usually enhancement is needed. If I emphasize color and contrast, there’s an excitement the viewer feels. If I’m going for a more tranquil, healing, spiritual sort of landscape, the color choices are much different. It’s amazing how much I always need to simplify a scene, leaving a lot out, in order to convey a focused, powerful message; even if it is a peaceful message.”
“Soft Pastels (not Oil Pastels) are a very expressive medium. Working on a soft white Stonehenge printmakers’ paper I use my hands to blend large washy areas then add detail on top of these. I like to contrast bold scribbling strokes with softly blended areas. A painting is never finished in one session. I come back to each painting at least ten times. Unfinished paintings are stacked on a shelf with glassine between each one. There are always about 60 unfinished paintings in the stack. My thinking and mood each morning dictate my work for the day.”
A painter since the 1970’s and now semi-retired, Jan has enjoyed driving the backroads of the Southwest photographing and sketching for several weeks at a time. In the studio the paintings change from the actual scene. “My paintings reflect my life experience and a bond with Nature. It is delightful to have time for travel and painting.” She has had numerous one-woman shows in Taos, Santa Fe, Tubac, and Denver. Jan and her husband, Art, live in Arvada, Colorado and in Angel Fire, New Mexico.
Jan is a signature member of the Pastel Society of America and participates regularly in many juried national exhibits.
She has a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree from the University of Colorado graduating Phi Beta Kappa in 1978.
Past Career Highlights:
- 2014   2014 Mile High International Exhibit, Denver Public Library
-            The Arvada Center with the Arvada Fine Arts Guild
- 2013   Pastel Society of Colorado Members’ Show, Denver, Colorado
-            Center for the Arts Evergreen, Assorted exhibits throughout the past three years; also teaching workshops
- 2012   “Mile High International Exhibition” sponsored by the Pastel Society of Colorado, at the John Madden Center in Englewood, Colorado
- 2007   July Invitational Exhibit at Ghost Ranch, Piedra Lumbre Center, Abiquiu, NM
-            Director of the Arvada Art Studio Tour, for three years. Annually in September, Arvada, Colorado
- 2006   Purchase of “Dark Lagoon, 10” by Standley Lake Library
- 2005   The 2005 Print for Rocky Mountain Public Television Art Auction “Dark Lagoon, 4”
-            Chicago Architecture Foundation: Art Auction
- 2004   Sangre de Cristo Arts Center: One woman exhibit November – February 2005, Pueblo, CO
-            Colorado Arts Festival, Juried; outdoor show in downtown Denver, CO
-            Pastel Society of Colorado, Juried; Curtis Arts & Humanities Center, Englewood, CO
- 2003   Colorado Art Open 2003, Juried; Foothills Art Center, Golden, CO
- 2002   Pastel Society of the West Coast, Juried, Modesto, CA
- 2000   Pastel Society of America 28th Annual exhibit, New York, NY
-            Pastel Society of the West Coast juried exhibit, Sacramento, CA
-            TV promotion for Rocky Mountain PBS Art Auction, shown for the Art Auction
Corporate and Public Collections:
- The Adam’s Mark Hotel, Denver purchased 5 large paintings displayed behind their reception desk
- One Woman Exhibits at Gallery A, Taos, New Mexico for 10 years. (until 2003)
- International Association of Pastel Societies juried exhibit, Denver, 1998
- Artist-in-Residence, Rocky Mountain National Park, 1996
- Pastel Society of America (PSA) signature membership, 1993 (juried into 3 national exhibits within 6 years)
- Art in Public Places – Several locations around Denver metro area.
- Arvada Center for the Arts and Humanities; solo exhibit, 1997
- Denver Art Museum, The Denver Metropolitan exhibit, 1972
- Phi Beta Kappa, University of Colorado, BFA, 1978
Adam’s Mark Hotel, Denver MBNA bank, Dallas, Texas Cascade Hotel, Vail U S Bank, Denver Colorado Housing Finance Authority, Denver Wells Fargo Bank, Denver Colorado State Patrol Bldg., Golden, Colorado Pepsi Corporation, Denver Colorado School of Mines Colorado State Services Building, Denver Kaiser Permanente, Westminster Kirkland and Ellis, Chicago Rocky Mountain National Park, Estes Park Hanifen Imhoff Inc, Denver Standley Lake Library, Arvada, Lolorado
Arvada Art Studio Tour September 20 and 21, 2008
Hours for Saturday and Sunday are from 10:00am to 6:00pm each day
My Studio, 8309 Benton Way, Arvada, Colorado
Each year the Arvada Art Studio Tour grows another leap and becomes better and better. This is my 7th year of participation. As one of the charter members I carry on the tradition through planning and organizing as well as exhibiting. We’ve had a great team of volunteers this year. The variety and quality of artwork of all the artists is well worth seeing.
At my home studio, everything will be displayed throughout our home: unframed sketches, new handsomely framed paintings, old work at reduced prices, prints, everything. In the actual studio all my pastels are laid out next to the work table. Visitors have a chance for a leisurely walk through; they can ask questions, see a short demo on how I work with the pastels and try a hand at it themselves.
Please see the Tour web site for additional information and maps
CENTER FOR THE ARTS EVERGREEN Evergreen, Colorado
In the Denver metro area I teach many one-day (Saturday) landscape workshops in Soft Pastels through the Center for the Arts in Evergreen. All levels of experience are welcome. Please see their website for contact information. www.evergreenarts.org. 303-674-0056.
GHOST RANCH Abiquiu, New Mexico
I’m currently teaching several “Women’s Mentoring Pastel Workshops” usually during the spring and fall. These workshops are a week long with lots of time to find one’s relationship to the beauty of the southwest. See their on-line catalog for current information at www.GhostRanch.org
INDIVIDUAL LESSONS Arvada, Colorado
I also have individual lessons available at my home studio in Arvada, Colorado. All levels are welcome.
Contact the Artist
Click Here to Return to Top
To send Jan an e-mail, email@example.com
Or call the studio at: (303) 428-7394