|         Contact the Artist|
|View Original Pastel Paintings|
|View Giclée Prints|
|About Giclée Prints|
A painter for over 40 years, Jan travels throughout the Southwest and other regions photographing and sketching for several weeks at a time. “I’m not really an outdoor painter. Nature can be exciting – like a glorious sunset – but usually enhancement is needed. If I emphasize color and contrast, there’s an excitement the viewer feels. If I’m going for a more tranquil, healing, spiritual sort of landscape, the color choices are much different. It’s amazing how much I always need to simplify a scene, leaving a lot out, in order to convey a focused, powerful message; even if it is a peaceful message.”
“Soft Pastels (not Oil Pastels) are a very expressive medium. Working on a soft white Stonehenge printmakers’ paper I use my hands to blend large washy areas then add detail on top of these. I like to contrast bold scribbling strokes with softly blended areas. A painting is never finished in one session. I come back to each painting at least ten times. Unfinished paintings are stacked on a shelf with glassine between each one. There are always about 60 unfinished paintings in the stack. My thinking and mood each morning dictate my work for the day.”
Jan is a signature member of the Pastel Society of America and participates regularly in many juried national exhibits.
- Member of the Pastel Society of America (PSA), a prestigious organization in New York, that promotes recognition of the soft pastel medium. Signature membership required three juried PSA national shows within six years. There were only 650 members when I was accepted in 1993.
- Member of the Colorado Pastel Society, and the Pastel Society of the West Coast.
- Education: Bachelor of Fine Arts, Phi Beta Kappa, from the University of Colorado.
- Five large paintings were purchased by the Adam’s Mark Hotel, Denver, for display behind their reception desk.
Career Highlights: 2006 Director of the Arvada Art Studio Tour 2005 “Dark Lagoon, 4” was chosen as the print for the Rocky Mountain Public Television 2005 Art Auction. See “Newsletter” for details. Chicago Architecture Foundation: Art Auction Arvada Art Studio Tour, September, Arvada, Colorado 2004 Sangre de Cristo Arts Center: One woman exhibit November – February 2005, Pueblo, Colorado Colorado Arts Festival, juried, participation since 1999, Denver, Colorado Pastel Society of Colorado, Juried; Curtis Arts & Humanities Center, Englewood, Colorado Arvada Art Studio Tour, September, Arvada, Colorado 2003 Colorado Art Open 2003, Juried; Foothills Art Center, Golden, Colorado Arvada Art Studio Tour, September, Arvada, Colorado 2002 Pastel Society of the West Coast, Juried, Modesto, California 2000 Pastel Society of America 28th Annual exhibit, New York, New York Pastel Society of the West Coast juried exhibit, Sacramento, California TV promotion for Rocky Mountain PBS Art Auction, shown for the Art Auction
Past Career Highlights:
- Rocky Mountain PBS, Anniversary Collection since 1994, Denver, Colorado
- The Arvada Center Holiday Art Market, since 1994, Arvada, Colorado
- Arvada Art Studio Tour, two-day open studio event, Arvada, Colorado
- Own Your Own, Sangre de Cristo Art Center, Pueblo, Colorado
- Gallery A, One-woman annual exhibits, from 1995 - 2003, Taos, New Mexico
- Friedman Award, Pastel Society of America, 1999
- International Association of Pastel Societies juried exhibit, Denver, 1998
- Artist-in-Residence, Rocky Mountain National Park, 1996
- Pastel Society of America (PSA) signature membership, 1993
- Ghost Ranch Calendar, the month of May 1994
- Ghost Ranch Poster, “View from the Mesa” 1992
- Art in Public Places, Colorado State Patrol Building, 1990 “Blue Mesa in September”
- Art in Public Places, Colo. State Services Building, 1997 “Upper Beaver Meadows”
- Arvada Center for the Arts and Humanities; solo exhibit, 1997
- Denver Art Museum, The Denver Metropolitan exhibit, 1972
- Phi Beta Kappa, University of Colorado, BFA, 1978
- Southwest Art Magazine, advertisements since 1994
- The Pastel Journal, article, May/June 2000
- American Artist: February, article on pastel process, January 1998
- Landscape Inspirations, Rockport Publications, 2 paintings included 1998
- Best of Pastel, 1996, Rockport Publications, 2 paintings included 1996
Corporate and Public Collections: Adam’s Mark Hotel, Denver MBNA bank, Dallas, Texas Cascade Hotel, Vail U S Bank, Denver Colorado Housing Finance Authority, Denver Wells Fargo Bank, Denver Colorado State Patrol Bldg., Golden, Colorado Pepsi Corporation, Denver Colorado School of Mines Colorado State Services Building, Denver Kaiser Permanente, Westminster Kirkland and Ellis, Chicago Rocky Mountain National Park, Estes Park Hanifen Imhoff Inc, Denver
Arvada Art Studio Tour September 20 and 21, 2008
Hours for Saturday and Sunday are from 10:00am to 6:00pm each day
My Studio, 8309 Benton Way, Arvada, Colorado
Each year the Arvada Art Studio Tour grows another leap and becomes better and better. This is my 7th year of participation. As one of the charter members I carry on the tradition through planning and organizing as well as exhibiting. We’ve had a great team of volunteers this year. The variety and quality of artwork of all the artists is well worth seeing.
At my home studio, everything will be displayed throughout our home: unframed sketches, new handsomely framed paintings, old work at reduced prices, prints, everything. In the actual studio all my pastels are laid out next to the work table. Visitors have a chance for a leisurely walk through; they can ask questions, see a short demo on how I work with the pastels and try a hand at it themselves.
Please see the Tour web site for additional information and maps
Contact the Artist
Click Here to Return to Top
To send Jan an e-mail, please Click Here
Or call the studio at: (303) 428-7394